Use of McGruff
Standards for All Uses of McGruff the Crime Dog®
NCPC has developed standards for all uses of the McGruff character, name, marks, and slogan and related marks, characters, and slogans. Below are the most significant rules regarding the use of McGruff. You can download and print all guidelines in the Use of McGruff and Related Marks from the link in the left navigation.
- McGruff must be used for the purpose of prevention education in the areas of crime, violence, and/or substance abuse.
- Anyone who receives permission to use McGruff incurs an obligation to maintain the integrity and consistency of the character.
- McGruff prevents crime and must be so portrayed. He provides helpful crime prevention advice and may only be portrayed as a teacher/mentor figure. He does not apprehend criminals or enforce the law.
- McGruff does not claim that he can do everything himself and does not suggest that he is personally responsible for crime prevention. He empowers people to help themselves and others. These attitudes should be clearly projected.
- McGruff is helpful; he may only convey positive, constructive messages. McGruff never blames anyone for failing to take action; rather, he helps people learn what they can do.
- McGruff must be portrayed at all times as someone who values and is respectful of good relations with law enforcement, community officials, teachers, parents, youth, senior citizens, businesses, and community organizations.
- McGruff never endorses any person, product, or company or any candidate for political office or any political party.
- McGruff may be used in conjunction with other characters with positive images for educational purposes in the areas of crime, violence, and/or substance abuse prevention.
- McGruff is always clothed in a tan or beige trench coat, plaid or cross-hatch patterned pants, and gumsoled shoes.
- When in print or animated, McGruff may wear a hat (with no logo) and he may carry an otherwise appropriate prop.
- McGruff may not be shown holding a weapon of any type or any weapon-like object, or behaving in a threatening manner.
- No one may manufacture for sale a product containing or featuring McGruff's image or slogan unless the individual or form is a commercial contracted licensee of NCPC or unless a specific, written, advance waiver has been provided by NCPC. Visit mcgruffstore.org for links to some of NCPC's official licensees.
- An appearance by McGruff in costume at any national or international event must be approved in advance by NCPC.
- McGruff is always known either by "McGruff" or as "McGruff the Crime Dog." He is never "Officer McGruff," "Detective McGruff," "Mr. McGruff," or "McGruff, the Crime-Fighting Dog."
These basic guidelines apply for any kind of use of McGruff. NCPC determines these standards and reserves the right to revise them at any time. For more information on the guidelines for using McGruff, to request to use his image, or to report innappropriate use, please contact the Trademark Control and Quality Review Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For guidelines regarding use of the McGruff costume, please see the McGruff Costume page under Training and Events.