Respect Book Club Marks Launch of New Anti-bullying Campaign
By Robin Young, NCPC Staff
NCPC’s new Circle of Respect campaign is being launched in October. This ambitious new initiative will target the root cause of bullying and cyberbullying by creating a nationwide movement that will fundamentally change the way people, particularly young people, view this harmful behavior.
One important aspect of the Circle of Respect initiative is to build awareness of this hurtful—and damaging—behavior among children, parents, teachers, and in American society. To help advance its goal, NCPC is hosting an online Circle of Respect Book Club to generate a guided national discussion about this issue. The Book Club will feature one book each month on the Circle of Respect’s website by a noted author in the field of bullying and cyberbullying. Each author will also lead an in-depth discussion via a downloadable podcast.
Leading off the Circle of Respect Book Club is the new version of Queen Bees & Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World by Rosalind Wiseman. This book, as described by Ms. Wiseman, explores
• The different roles girls play in and outside of cliques as Queen Bees, targets, and bystanders, and how this defines how they and others are treated
• Girls’ power plays--from the unexplained silent treatment to birthday invitations
• How the experiences of early adolescence impact girls’ future relationships and success
• Where boys fit into the equation of girl conflicts and how the “rules” of Boy World are equally constraining
• Checking your baggage—recognizing how your experiences impact the way you parent, and how to be sanely involved in your daughter’s difficult, yet common social conflicts
This new version of the book includes a special chapter for parents of younger girls, insights on how technology has impacted Girl World, and is infused with new opinions and experiences of girls, boys and parents.
Other noted authors participating in the Circle of Respect Book Club are Dr. William Pollack, Dr. Michael Thompson, Rachel Simmons, Sharon Flake, Dr. Sameer Hinduja, and Amy Koss. More information on the Circle of Respect Book Club and other ways to participate in the Circle of Respect campaign will be featured on the website after October 1, 2009.