School Safety Tips for Administrators
A simple list of ways to help keep kids safe at school
- Enforce zero-tolerance policies toward the presence of weapons, alcohol, and illegal drugs.
- Establish and enforce drug- and gun-free zones.
- Establish policies that declare that anything that is illegal off campus is illegal on campus.
- Engage students in maintaining a good learning environment by establishing a teen court.
- Develop protocols between law enforcement and the school about ways to share information on at-risk youth.
- Develop resource lists that provide referral services for students who are depressed or otherwise under stress.
- Involve teens in designing and running programs such as mediation, mentoring, peer assistance, School Crime Watch, and graffiti removal programs.
- Insist that all students put outerwear in their lockers during school hours.
- Require all students to tuck in their shirts to keep them from hiding weapons.
- Develop and enforce dress codes that ban gang-related and gang-style clothing.
- Establish a policy of positive identification such as ID badges for administrators, staff, students, and visitors.
- Deny students permission to leave school for lunch and other non-school-related activities during school hours.